Before I start my rant, let me just say two things. 1) I love bookstores. 2)Since I can’t get a teaching job, working in a bookstore is my next top choice.
That being said, I don’t think I can work in retail for much longer. Here are my reasons why:
- The schedule runs from Sunday to Saturday and following week’s new schedule gets posted on Friday nights. This means that I can’t plan out weekends since I never know if and when I work the connecting Sunday until a day and a half before.
- During the week, the schedule gets revised numerous times. This is usually don’t without the knowledge of people and no one calls to them to notify them when they are not at work to check themselves.
- The days and shifts I work change from week to week. I need a set schedule. I like to have routines and have the ability to plan.
- As booksellers, we are supposed to greet every single customer EVERY time we see them. We are also supposed to push particular books to them, regardless whether we think it’s a good book or not. I’m sorry, but as a customer, I would want to be left alone in a bookstore and not have things pushed on me or have my thoughts interrupted needlessly while browsing.
- Two weeks paid vacation. Period. I want summers and all holidays off like the career I’m certified in.
- I only make $9 an hour. This means I make less than $19,000 a year, before tax and medical. People complain that a teacher’s salary is horrendous but a starting teacher in my county makes $38,000 a year. That’s double my current salary and way more vacation days.
- Customers can be downright mean but they’re always “right”. People think they are tremendously entitled and that everything should be served to them on a silver platter immediately.
I also have some frustrations with my particular store but that doesn’t pertain to retail as a whole. I know I’ll have frustrations in any job and that I have just have to work through them. I just wish I could get some of the perks I’m certified for. The scheduling and vacation time are my biggest frustrations right now. Mostly because I want to see my boyfriend and friends more often as well as take multiple trips. I’m a traveler at heart and I’m getting restless.
Today’s silver lining: Even though I complain a lot, I’m still thankful that I have a full-time job right now since schools still don’t have any openings. Plus I do love my 33% employee discount… 😉